The years up to 1615 were spent by the citizens for its reconstruction.
In 1652 the four doctors Johann Laurentius Bausch, Johann Michael Fehr, Georg Balthasar Wolfahrt and Balthasar Metzger founded the Academia Curiosorum in Schweinfurt, which is known today as the German Academy of Life Scientists, "Leopoldina".
Probieren Sie es doch einfach einmal aus, denn abbestellen können Sie das kostenlose Abonnement jederzeit!
Efforts to disperse the surviving machinery began immediately and the Luftwaffe deployed large numbers of interceptors along the corridor to Schweinfurt. Although losses of production bearings and machinery were high and much of the industrial and residential areas of the city were destroyed, killing more than a thousand civilians, the factories were restored to production and the industry dispersed.Although German planners initially thought it essential to purchase the entire output of the Swedish ball-bearing industry, losses in the production of bearings were actually made up from surpluses found within Germany in the aftermath of the first raid. Army closed on 19 September 2014 due to an ongoing effort to concentrate the U. military's footprint in Germany to fewer communities.Thus Schweinfurt recovered relatively quickly from its third period of destruction. In 1998 German and American veterans and survivors of the bombing raids came together to erect a war memorial to the fallen.The Museum Georg Schäfer specializes in 19th-century paintings by artists from German-speaking countries.The decentralized industry was able to restore output to 85% of its pre-bombing level. Also in post-war years, the new suburbs of Bergl, Hochfeld and Steinberg were developed to settle a growing population.
After the war Schweinfurt became a stronghold of the US military and their dependants. In 1954 the city laid the foundation stone for the new town hall and commemorated the 700th and 500th anniversaries of the two earlier periods of destruction as well as the ongoing reconstruction following World War II.
In the first half of the 13th century Schweinfurt expanded to become a proper city with city wall, towers and city gates.
At that time the Nikolaus hospital was founded, a mint was established and construction work on the Saint Johannis church began.
The Schweinfurter Rathaus (town hall) square has a large Friedrich Rückert monument in the centre, around which weekly markets and many city festivals are held.
A large number of people, including immigrants from many other countries, add to the crowded inner-city traffic-free Markthalle shopping area.
The city joined Martin Luther's Reformation in 1542.